“Today, I am suspending the campaign, but suspending the campaign does not mean suspending citizenship.”
— Newt Gingrich, ending his campaign.
Well, now that he mentions it, suspending Newt Gingrich’s citizenship because he has to suspend his presidential bid sound just great to me. Add that to my progressive wish list.
The Newt Gingrich campaign’s donor list is up for rent — and I’m only half joking when I say we progressives should start raising funds to use it for one big, epic practical joke. How much would you pay to create shame and indignity among all his funders?
- Rick Perry had a meltdown. His train of thought derailed multiple times and he was slurring his words slightly.
- Mitt Romney’s hair was jauntily tousled and he probably gets a boost from this.
- Herman Cain proved he’s not a misogynist by referring to Rep. Nancy Pelosi as “Princess Nancy” and gave Jim Cramer a stroke by referencing 9-9-9 when Cramer said specifically not to at all.
- Michele Bachmann insulted poor people by saying they could pay taxes by buying “two less Happy Meals.”
- Ron Paul suggested students pay for college like they pay for cell phones and that getting rid of student loans will make the price go down. He alternated between Grandpa Simpson and soothsayer.
- Rick Santorum was lost because he couldn’t talk about abortions and gay people killing America.
- Newt Gingrich got his ass handed to him by moderators for claiming “media is not reporting accurately how the economy works.” At a CNBC debate.
- Jon Huntsman was the grown-up in the room, reminding everyone Americans watching this debate are hurting. They’re losing their jobs, their houses, and there’s no simple solution. He had ideas versus talking points. So he’s going to sink further than 1% in the polls.
Accurate. Read that last bullet point and think about what it means for the GOP for a moment.